What's New in Theatre?: DMV Edition


One of the joys of living in the area of DC, Maryland, and Virginia is the access we have to all types of magnificent theatre. From small independents to large equity houses, the DMV positively overflows with great productions. Though, the overabundance of houses makes it difficult to plan a season. Because if you're a theatre lover like me, you just want to see every show produced, which at this rate, would put you in a theatre almost every evening. While that sounds awesome, my wallet thinks it may be a bit much. 

That being said, there are some definite shows to be seen this season. Shows that if I haven't already purchased tickets to, I've marked the dates those tickets go on sale in my calendar so I can be online at 10:00 am that day to purchase. It may be a mild obsession, but hey, it could be worse!

Without further ado here are the shows I'm most excited about this season in the DMV.

* Murder on the Orient Express at Everyman Theatre: I've been to Everyman many times since discovering it in 2017. They have never, ever let me down. Their creativity, and talent makes each production more original than the last. I have no doubt that this new play based on Agatha Christie's classic novel will be a stunner! (Murder on the Orient Express plays December 3, 2019 - January 5, 2020)

* Next to Normal at the Kennedy Center: These Broadway CenterStage performances produced over the last few seasons, have been a highlight of the Kennedy Center's programming. I've enjoyed seeing who they cast and what magic  they create on stage. While this season's full slate isn't exactly what I had in mind, I am thrilled to see Next to Normal among them, with the super talented Rachel Bay Jones in the lead. Though it hasn't been announced yet, I've worked my way through some amazing actors in my head who would perfectly capture the husband. Currently, it's Chris Jackson all the way! Though if Brian d'Arcy James wants to reprise his role from the Off-Broadway run, I'm not going to complain. (Next to Normal plays January 29 - February 2, 2020)

* The tours of Come from Away and Jesus Christ Superstar at the Kennedy Center: Seriously, a season that has two of my most favorite shows of all time included? How can you go wrong? (Come From Away plays December 10, 2019 - January 5, 2020 & Jesus Christ Superstar plays April 14 - 16, 2020)

* Pippin and Brigadoon at Olney Theatre Center: Just like Everyman, Olney Theatre Center is one of the jewels of the DMV theatre scene. Their productions push the envelope in the best ways possible. I'm excited to see Pippin because it's a show I've never seen before, and I've heard all things wonderful about it. And though I've seen Brigadoon, how can you ignore that beautiful score? (Pippin plays June 10 - July 19, 2020 & Brigadoon plays July 24, 2020)

*A King's Speech at the National Theatre: I loved this movie and this story with all my heart. I read the book after seeing the movie, just so I could learn more about this impossible-sounding event in history. To say that I'm excited about this re-telling is an understatement. Not to mention the casting of Henry-Hadden Paton and James Frain is perfect! (A King's Speech plays February 11 - 16, 2020)

* A Broadway Holiday at Annapolis Shakespeare Company: What ASC manages to do in such a small space, always astounds me. Though they have many amazing-sounding productions in their season, I'm most thrilled to see this Holiday cabaret. Their performers are perfectly suited to this type of performance. Also, mixing Christmas with Broadway - why has no one thought to do this before? (A Broadway Holiday plays select dates through December)

* A Right to be Forgotten at Arena Stage: This brand new play, sounds a bit like Dear Evan Hansen on the surface, but the synopsis reads like an examination of social media in all its forms. It sounds fascinating, and I'm totally there for seeing something completely new take flight. And after Arena's fantastic production of Dave last summer, they can do no wrong in my eyes. (A Right to be Forgotten plays October 11 - November 10, 2019)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating My Way Around London

Starstruck

Review: 'You are Here: A Come From Away Story'