Book Worm Wednesday: Literary Travels


One of my very favorite genres to read is travel writing. Not travel guides, that show you all the best places to visit when you reach a place, but travel writing. It's those first hand accounts of travelers and tales of writers heading to far off places that I just love. I've read these stories to plan trips, but also to dream about places I'll probably never reach (I'm looking at you Bhutan...)

While I've read many - there are three entire shelves devoted to these wonders alone in my library - these are my top 5. And because I'm not so good with the narrowing down, I've also provided you a few books that I liked, similar to my favorites. 

Happy (Literary) Travels!


1. A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain 

Every Bourdain fan knows this is his least favorite of the books he wrote. But for me, it was the first of his I'd read, and I fell in love with his unique philosophy on food, travel, and life itself. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

Similar to A Cook's Tour: No Baggage by Clara Bensen


2. We'll Always Have Paris by Jennifer Coburn 

I read many, many books about Paris for someone who claims she's not a fan of the City of Light. But there's just something about Paris that makes it ever so readable. This account of a mother daughter trip is perfectly captured. You feel the love she has for her daughter, and the desire they both share to open themselves up to adventure throughout the story. I loved it and so did my mom. It was such fun to share the story with her.

Similar to We'll Always Have Paris: Paris Letters by Janice MacLeod, The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz, The Only Street in Paris by Elaine Sciolino


3. Mediterranean Summer by David Shalleck and Erol Munuz 

I am actually not a huge fan of sailing in general. However, this account of a chef spending a summer cooking on a luxury sailing yacht is incredible. From the ports he visited, to the markets he shopped, I felt the warm breezes of the Med on every page!

Similar to Mediterranean Summer: The Spice Necklace and An Embarrassment of Mangoes both by Ann Vanderhoof


4. Radio Shangri-La by Lisa Napoli 

I have an unhealthy obsession with all things Bhutan. I'm hooked on the research calling it the happiest place on earth. And my psych-major heart would love to look into Michael J. Fox's account of his time there, and why his Parkinson's symptoms all but disappeared. It's built up to be this magical place in my mind, but it's also super difficult to reach, therefore it's probably not in the cards for me. So a personal account of a woman setting up a radio station in this far off kingdom, is just up my alley. She described the area so beautifully, and also addressed the oddness of this almost hidden place that I felt like I was there. (Also, in my research, I learned that the University of Texas at El Paso's architecture is based on the area of Bhutan. If you're also unhealthily obsessed with the area, put that on your adventure list. It's at least a little easier to reach.)

Similar to Radio Shangri-La: Holy Cow by Sarah Macdonald and In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson


5. A Fine Romance by Susan Branch 

I love England. It is by far, my happy place. Also, I adore seeing people being crafty. So Susan Branch's personally illustrated account of her time in the countryside of England, after sailing there on the Queen Mary, is utterly gorgeous to me. She is the only person that can do that beautiful area justice. 

Similar to A Fine Romance: Nothing else based in England is really similar to this book but Susan Branch has also written and illustrated Martha's Vineyard: Isle of Dreams and The Fairy Tale Girl, which look the same but are about very different areas. Though if you want another great book based in England, I recommend Londoners by Craig Taylor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating My Way Around London

Starstruck

Review: 'You are Here: A Come From Away Story'