Sherlock "The Abominable Bride" - Review

I was expecting a lot from the Sherlock special.  It'd been 2 years since we'd been graced by a new episode of this gorgeous program.  So to say fans were ready for something new, was an understatement. Thankfully, the dynamic duo of writing knew that and they definitely gave us what we desired.

It was original and a bit off the wall, and I'm still not sure if I understand it all, but oh my goodness, believe me when I say it was fantastic! When word first broke the extra episode would be set in Victorian times, I was a little skeptical.  What would make it different than any other version of Sherlock Holmes we've seen over the years?  I really should have known that the creative minds had something else in store.  

The shock that the Victorian times tied into what had happened in the finale was so very delicious.  No spoilers here, but seeing what they accomplished within the whole Sherlock narrative, is exactly why I love Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat.  While I may clamor for more between seasons, I know this kind of out of box thinking, can only be accomplished in such a time table.  No matter the episode, you know the writing will always be top notch - sometimes funny and sometimes heart breaking, but always quotable. What I wouldn't give to have the talent these guys have. 

Then of course, you have the production choices.  An episode of Sherlock is just gorgeous. There's no other way to describe it.  Between the signature text messages appearing on the screen, to the always crafty scene transitions, I just can't get enough.  There are some big-budget movies that don't have the same production value as Sherlock does.  The set designers and directors, really put a great deal of care into it.  And it's reflected in the episodes.  The specific color choices, and lighting decisions all feed into the narrative.  These choices are always unique and always creative.  And always a delight! Oh, and one last note on this team, whoever chose the costume and makeup for the character, the Abominable Bride, you are spot on in the creepy department.  Oh so macabre!

Lastly, of course, you have the on camera team.  It's not hard to see why this show is so popular.  The team of actors they pulled together, is unbelievably talented.  And harder to pull off, they're beautiful as an ensemble as well.  Sherlock and John had to be a great unit or the show would never have worked, and Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman have that relationship in spades.  But more than the main cast, you also have a truly outstanding supporting cast.  Sherlock wouldn't be what it is, without a perfect Mrs. Hudson, or Mary, or Lestrade or Molly.  Some of the best scenes take place between the main and supporting cast. I honestly couldn't imagine replacing a single member of that cast.  They've all made their roles their own, and I'm over the moon for them!

If you couldn't tell from my gushing, I was incredibly happy with the special.  Avoiding it for the first week of 2016, until I could see it in the theatre, was torturous.  But the payoff was ten fold.  In fact, I think I've been spoiled and I now want to see every episode in the theatre. Can we make that happen, please?  The Sherlock fandom is pretty powerful, I think we totally need to work on this...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating My Way Around London

Gavin Creel: A Joy-filled Evening at the Kennedy Center

What's New in Theatre?: Broadway Edition