Semi-Sweet Wonka

I've never really been a fan of shows that are deemed "kid shows".  I don't know why.  As a former pre-school teacher, I love children's books and movies.  But for some reason, kid-friendly shows on Broadway are really not my thing.  The two biggest examples of this type of show are Matilda and Beauty and the Beast - two shows I've hated for years. However, I did fall in love with School of Rock immediately, so there's really no rhyme or reason.

All of this brings me to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, currently playing at the Lunt-Fontanne.  As a kid, the Gene Wilder version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was one of my favorites.  It is a sweet and quite quotable movie I've watched dozens of time.  So when I heard that one of the most-talented theater actors of today - Christian Borle - would be donning the top-hat, I knew that I would most definitely need to see it, even though it was a kid-show, that didn't get great reviews when it played the West End.

And while it wasn't terrible, my dislike for kid shows still stands.  At the time, my three word review of the show was "Christian deserves better."  But after a week of mulling it over, I've re-thought my initial reaction.  It wasn't for me, but I can see where it would appeal to many people.  First off, it's just fun.  The story, originally written by Roald Dahl is one full of hi-jinks and scares, that are sure to appeal to kids today, as well as their parents that grew up on his stories.

The staging itself finds a way to really highlight each family and their fate with super creative special effects.  Each child's fate -whether it was Augustus being sucked up the pipe or Violet turning violet (Violet...) - was hilariously sealed by tricks of the eye, and fancy choreography.  And don't even get me started on the Oompa-Loompas.  Each review I've read has stopped short of revealing the how-to of the Oompa-Loompas, therefore I will do the same  But believe me when I tell you, the reveal is so much funnier than I ever thought it could be.  You will not be disappointed.

Then there was Christian Borle himself, as the cantankerous and daffy, but lovable Willy Wonka.  Christian is by far one of the most gifted comedians working today. His eye for subtle nods to movies, or characters, mixed in with his prop-work makes for a mad-cap Wonka.  However, it was a little too mad-cap for me.  The humor was flowing so quickly, that I missed a great deal I'm sure, just trying to keep up with the story.  

I adored his work in Falsettos, and he breaks my heart each time I hear him on that album. I think that's why it was a little hard for me to buy into him in the Wonka context.  His work in Falsettos was so quietly beautiful, that I've grown accustomed to seeing him in that light, instead of the brash comedy, he's been known for.  Though, I can understand his desire to go back to something as airy as Willy Wonka, after the heavy-lifting of Falsettos.  While maybe not as rewarding, I'm sure it's a lot easier on his mental health.

In the end, my problem with kid shows always tends to be the same thing - too big and too loud.  And this show was no different.  Everyone involved was super talented, and I appreciate the design and creativity of the staging completely.  But I would so much rather see a smaller show with a little more heart than a big staging, like this one. As Wonka himself states "the world is full of pure imagination" and some things, rather than relying on tricks and effects,  are just better left to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating My Way Around London

Starstruck

Gavin Creel: A Joy-filled Evening at the Kennedy Center