Tony Thoughts

Tony day is tomorrow, and I'm a little too excited.  This past month has been fabulous as just a bystander watching it all happen.  I can't even imagine how fun it's all been for the nominees.  The theater community is a truly special one, and having the chance to see a little of what goes into making these shows has been awesome to see.  I know that with the Tony awards concluding tomorrow, a brand new season will begin.  But this particular season has been chock-full of the biggest and best talent I've seen in years, so it will be sad to see these lovely people go on to other things. 

But until then, we've been treated to tons of great videos and photos that have me super-excited in seeing tomorrow's show.  The most amazing thing has been seeing just how close the different nominees have gotten and just how much they all support each other.  Can you even imagine the best actor or actress Oscar nominees going out for a meal together and taking selfies? I doubt it very much, but that's just what the best featured actor, actress and writers did in the past month.  How sweet is that?  I'm a sucker for lovely people being friends with other lovely people.

And of course, because both shows are nominated, the over-abundance of Falsettos and Come From Away has also been wonderful to see.  There are tons of videos and interviews with the amazing casts of these two shows, which means they've been in the spotlight even more than usual, which is so deserved.  These two shows have the biggest heart and mean the most to me.  I fear they won't win all of the awards but I do hope they know they deserve them all. And as an aside, if you want to spend a wonderful 30 minutes, I highly suggest this video of a lunch date with Jenn Colella of Come From Away, and 4 of the cast members from Falsettos.  It's pretty amazing, and I've told pretty much everyone I know to watch it, so now I'm telling you as well.

Anyway, here we go.  Here are my predictions for tomorrow night.  I'm sure they'll be all wrong, because my predictions are mostly based on what I want to happen, not exactly what I actually think will happen.  Hey, a girl can hope, right?

Best Musical: If Come From Away doesn't win (afterall they won the Drama Desk), I predict that Dear Evan Hansen runs away with the award.  But I honestly think my Come From Away-ers have a really great chance.

Best Actor in a Musical: As much as I'd like to see Christian Borle win, even he's willing to admit this award belongs to Ben Platt.  There's no way anyone but him wins it.

Best Actress in a Musical: This one has Bette Midler's name all over it.  And honestly, after seeing Hello, Dolly, she totally deserves it.

Best Featured Actor in a Musical: I'm predicting what I want to happen, which is a 2-way tie for Andrew Rannells and Brandon Uranowitz. They were both spectacular and deserve the award so much. But the buzz is on Lucas Steele, and Gavin Creel won the Drama Desk so it's anyone's game.  But my fingers and toes are crossed!

Best Featured Actress in a Musical: I want another 2-way tie on this one - Jenn Colella and Stephanie J. Block. Both are unbelievable in their roles.  They blew the roof off the joint each night.  I watched Stephanie get a standing ovation mid-show, twice for her rendition of "I'm Breaking Down."  I actually thinks she deserves it a bit more than Jenn does, however Jenn won the Drama Desk, so I'm taking that into account.

Best Revival: I fear this is going to Hello, Dolly. But I'm hoping for a last minute reprieve for my well-loved Falsettos.  This is its first revival and the material today means so much more to so many people.  And critics and audiences loved it, so it might have a shot. Again, fingers and toes crossed.

As for plays, the only one I saw was Present Laughter - which was very, very funny! However, I'm not sure it has a chance up against Sweat by Pulitzer winner Lynn Nottage.  

So there we have it, this time tomorrow I'll be at a viewing party in New York cheering on the lovely theatre community and loving every minute of it.  Enjoy Tony day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating My Way Around London

Gavin Creel: A Joy-filled Evening at the Kennedy Center

What's New in Theatre?: Broadway Edition