BroadwayCon 2018 Preview

In 2016, BroadwayCon started. I so wanted to go but I was snowed in, in Maryland and forced to watch the fun online from my sofa. In 2017, I went. And it was truly more fabulous than I had imagined it would be. What I enjoyed most about the people and the events was the overwhelming sense of positivity, and acceptance that every attendee and guest radiated. Everyone was there to celebrate Broadway and theatre, and to have fun. It was a weekend that I gushed about a bit for BroadwayWorld, but I also haven't really processed yet. It's hard for me to put the magic into words. 

Maybe this year, I'll have a little easier time, because as you may have guessed from the title of this post, it's that time of year again, and I and my Broadway Buddies will be attending. I'm pretty sure I've been waiting for next weekend until the last day of 2017's con. With so many great shows closing in the last year, and so many opening in the next few months, I'm thinking the line up will be a bit different. But if anyone can pull off the right balance of fun and celebration, it's the organizers behind BroadwayCon. 

So what's new this year?  In other words what have I been antsy about seeing since the schedule was released?

~ The panel discussions specifically Come From Away.  These panels join together the lovely creatives, and actors from shows that are on Broadway now, and give them the chance to talk about what's fabulous in doing what they do. With Come From Away,  I love every single one of these cast members and as I've gushed about a bit, it is on my Top 5 of all Time list.  I can't wait to see what new and exciting things they'll share during their panel.

~ Lin Manuel Miranda! at the In the Heights Reunion.  Last year, this is how we at BroadwayCon got to see Lin:
It was a surprise appearance via Skype from England which was still pretty awesome! This year he'll actually be in the building.  I worry that seats for that panel are going to go fast, but I'm going to try my hardest to make sure we have them. Because, honestly - how can you not want to be in the room where it happens? (Sorry not sorry for the terrible Hamilton pun...)

~ The Preview Show on Sunday.  Last year we were treated to performances from Come From Away, Anastasia, Bandstand, and many more. I can't wait to see what this season will bring in regards to new shows and new talent.

~ Swag! - Last year I bought a Come From Away flower for my hair, and a minimalist hand-drawn print of the cast of Falsettos, and amongst many other things. Also, the Lights of Broadway showcards always have a BroadwayCon exclusive, so that's just a necessary expense.  This year, I'm hoping to not be as terrible with my wallet, but seriously - Buy all the things!

So that's what's on the agenda, but there's also something on our personal agenda, that we've never tried before. It's a bit different and I'm a little nervous and a lot excited about it. Two of us are cosplaying. I've always wanted to try it, but never had the nerve. After seeing the amazing costumes last year, I'm not sure mine will measure up, but I'm going for it anyway.  My one Broadway Buddy is wearing something that represents her favorite show.  While I'm choosing to dress as two different characters from two different shows - one on Saturday and one on Sunday.  Below are hints to the shows.  See if you can guess, who or what they are, and I'll follow up next week with pictures of our creative, but maybe not super true to life cosplays, as well as highlights from my very favorite weekend of the year!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating My Way Around London

Gavin Creel: A Joy-filled Evening at the Kennedy Center

Review: 'You are Here: A Come From Away Story'