Emmy Awards 2018: A Bit of a Bore


I love watching award shows. I love watching shows I love win awards and seeing actors I love all dressed up in beautiful outfits. I even love the speeches and the mostly ridiculous banter of the presenters. However, after just spending 3 hours watching the Primetime Emmy awards, I must say my award show fascination may be slipping away.

For one, it was one of the laziest and non-exciting broadcasts I've seen in years. Even the stage was boring. It's like they heard the show was to be broadcast on a Monday night, and gave up caring about making it fun for the audience.

There were the shows nominated and awards won. I can honestly say I haven't seen an episode of a single thing that won this evening. The only show that was consistently nominated that I watch is This is Us and that lost (still bummed!). The only person I really enjoy, who won an award was Jeff Daniels. I'm sure the rest of the winners and nominees are lovely people, but I've barely heard of the shows they appear on. Maybe it's time to split the awards - Broadcast and Pay-Cable? Just a thought...

And don't even get me started on the hosts and the banter. I missed the opening, so I can't comment. But if the rest of their jokes were any indication, I'd say they weren't exactly up to the challenge of hosting duties. When James Corden appeared to present an award, I found myself hoping he'd just stick around and commandeer the show away from them. At least he'd look like he was having some fun.

All in all, this telecast which was supposed to be a celebration of 70 years at the Emmys was a complete dud. Thankfully, a sweet man decided to break up the monotony and propose to his girlfriend live on stage during his acceptance speech. Thankfully she said yes, and thankfully that livened up the room a bit. But the rest, unfortunately was entirely forgettable...

Comments

  1. Totally agree! Most boring Emmy Awards I remember. The hosts weren't funny and the broadcast really dragged. For all the talk about the most diverse, mostly white guys won. Very disappointing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eating My Way Around London

Gavin Creel: A Joy-filled Evening at the Kennedy Center

Review: 'You are Here: A Come From Away Story'