Top Shows of the Season


Last season, my three favorite shows on network television - because I'm cheap and don't have any streamers except Netflix - were This is Us on the drama side and Speechless and Will & Grace for a tie on the comedy side. Even though I avoid anything that makes me cry, I'm obsessed with This is Us. The storytelling is innovative and creative, and I've never seen a cast so talented and that gels so well together. It's a beautiful show that makes me cry every episode, and I'm still chomping at the bit every week to see something new.

As for the comedies, Speechless is the perfect family comedy, set around a family coping with a child with a serious disability. What's perfect about it is the storyline doesn't revolve around his disability. The family is a normal American family, who just happens to have a son incapable of speaking. It's so much funnier than I'm making it sound. Once again, the cast gels perfectly and a show that advocates for the underdogs is a welcome distraction. In the case of Will & Grace, I was obsessed 20 years ago, and I'm obsessed now. If they were funny then, they're uproarious now. Everything about the show is perfectly intact this time around, and the characters will never not make me laugh out loud.

While, I will still be obsessed with these three shows this season, each year new shows get added to the obsession list. Even though the season just started this week, I think I've already found them. On the drama side, I'm already hooked on A Million Little Things. It's not hard to see why I like this show. It's basically This is Us + Friends - Family. So far it's dealt with suicide, depression and cancer all in a very believable way. These topics aren't over-dramatized for effect. It's honest and heartbreaking. And the cast is amazing. It's too early to tell, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for at least a full season, hopefully many more.

On the comedy side, I predict Single Parents will be my go-to this season for a smile. When a character talks about their "moosh" - as in all the super sweet parts of their personality, I'm already pretty hooked. Because I have way too much "moosh" and I tend to let it out a lot. Though the adults are very, very funny, the kids may be the real stars in this very funny sitcom. They are adorable and have perfectly millennial personalities. After the events of today, it still made me smile, so I'm sure it'll continue to do so throughout the season.

Of course there are others, because in Maryland it's very cold in the winter, so I spend a lot of time on my sofa stressing over the lives of fictional NCIS agents and lawyers. But as long as I have these 2 new loves, and my 3 loves from last season, I'm all set for the television season! Who needs streamers anyway?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating My Way Around London

Gavin Creel: A Joy-filled Evening at the Kennedy Center

Review: 'You are Here: A Come From Away Story'