Review: 'You are Here: A Come From Away Story'


A few years ago, I took in this little musical at Ford's Theatre in DC, about the days following September 11, 2001. I had no idea what to expect when walking into the theatre. But upon walking out, I had tears in my eyes, and the biggest grin on my face. The show of course was Come From Away, and I've been in love with its simple message of kindness since the first notes of the score. In the often dark times we're living in now, it's no surprise that this show has been a global sensation and its message has resonated with so many people around the world. Not only is the message of kindness incredibly important, but it's also necessary in these days and times.

Because Come From Away is based on a true story of what happened in Gander Newfoundland, in the dark days that followed the terrorist attacks of 2001, the creators believed it was important to celebrate the real life inspirations for these characters you see on stage. That brings me to You are Here: A Come From Away Story, premiering in theatres September 11, 2019 around the world. To put it mildly, I am wild about it! I walked out of this theatre with the same tears in my eyes, and the same grin. But this time I also decided my life would be a bit better if I could just become friends with all of these lovely people. It seems the others in the theatre with me felt the same way. There were cheers, laughs, and a whole lot of smiles.

Why does this show sit so well? Well, if you don't know the story - don't feel bad if you don't, I had no idea before seeing Come From Away - here goes. When US air space was closed after the attacks, 38 planes needed a place to land. The only area large enough was the Gander Airfield, which was once used as a pit stop for jets on their way to and from Europe, the United States and Canada. The problem is that Gander, at the time, was a township of about 9000 people and there were close to 6700 people on the planes. How would those that lived in town clothe, feed and house this enormous group of people from all over the world in such an uncertain time? 

Quite simply, they did what needed to be done. They cooked meals upon meals for them - even providing vegetarian dishes and halal dishes for Muslim passengers. The opened their doors to passengers needing a place to rest. And chauffeured them all around town. The school bus strike even ended early to provide transportation to and from the air field. And they did all of this for 5 days straight.

These Come from Away-ers were frightened, and unsure of the situation they were in, but they were greeted with nothing but love and compassion. The Ganderites deserve every bit of celebration they receive.

In the documentary, it was fun to see the story play out from the townspeople's point of view. We heard from many of the people on which the characters of Come From Away are based. The filmmakers rightly allowed them time and space to share their story how they remembered it, without adding too many on camera interruptions. Included in the story, were pictures, and a few videos from those days in 2001. And of course, a bit of the gorgeous landscape of Newfoundland was thrown in for good measure. It is a beautiful tribute to human kindness, in the face of uncertainty that came from such a vile act.

While the heartbreaking footage at the start included the towers being hit, and ultimately collapsing, was affecting, I would have preferred it come with a trigger warning of some sort, for viewers that may have had friends or family lost that day. It was hard for me to watch, and I can't imagine if I had had a loved one affected. Be aware if you plan to view the documentary yourself.

The documentary ended with the Ganderites visiting New York for the opening of the play based on their life. While I was hoping to see a bit more about this phenomenal piece of theatre, I understand why the creators chose to focus on the real story. It's too good to pass up. I highly recommend this film for any Come From Away fans, or just anyone who believes kindness in all forms should be celebrated in every way! It's a lesson we all need and these people not only talked the talk, but they walked the walk - in the best way possible!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating My Way Around London

Gavin Creel: A Joy-filled Evening at the Kennedy Center