It's So Nice to Have You Back Where You Belong

For about the last month or so, I've been ever so slightly miffed at Bette Midler.  She and her production of Hello, Dolly! have been taking the spotlight away from my Falsettos team in the Tony race.  I had no doubt that Bette in all her glory, and the unbelievably talented ensemble that make up the cast of Hello, Dolly! were just as fabulous as everyone was saying that they were.  How could they not be?  I just didn't want them to be more fabulous than the Falsettos crew in the eyes of Tony voters, because if it were up to me, that cast and production would receive all of the awards!

However, after finally having the pleasure of seeing Hello, Dolly!, I have to admit that the critics are so very right in their praise of this show.  There must be a better way to describe such a classic production, but the best I've been able to come up with is sparkly.  Each part of the show, from the costumes to the set pieces to the actors, just seem to come alive and brighten the whole theater.  I could almost see the warm glow come over the audience the second the truly Divine Ms. M stepped - or should I say, rode? - onto the stage.   

Because, after all, most of the audience was there to see her in all her diva-ness in this quintessential part.  And from the second her casting was announced, even I found myself dreaming of snagging some tickets just to say that I had seen her in it.  And after witnessing her starry turn as Dolly Levi, I guarantee that everyone in that theater will be reminiscing about seeing her just as theater-goers that witnessed Ethel Merman in the part must have. Bette Midler as Dolly is positively phenomenal.  She has charm, sass, flair and the perfect comedic timing to make her Dolly a lovable force to be reckoned with.  Her rendition of "Hello, Dolly" gained her a well-deserved standing ovation mid-show, but that wasn't even the most impressive part of her performance.  That came, when for a good 3 straight minutes, the only action on stage was Dolly eating by herself, while the rest of the cast looked on.  She had the entire audience in the palm of her hand, and clearly loved every minute of it.

For this type of performance to really soar, you also need a straight man who can hold their own in the talent department.  And in casting David Hyde Pierce to play her soon-to-be love-interest, they most definitely found the perfect foil.  He was a droll and grumpy curmudgeon that succeeded in being hilarious and lovable.  I don't think I could ever dream-cast anyone better to play off of Bette's zing, wit and warmth.  He made his character stand out, while allowing Bette to do her thing.  Just like Ms. M, he was brilliant in every way.  As was the rest of this heavy-hitting, super-talented ensemble.

The other standout in this production full of standouts, is the costuming.  Each dress or suit were just gorgeous.  Each were made with rich, vibrant fabrics, that came to life in the lights of the stage.  These period-specific pieces in modern-day color palettes contributed a great deal to the sparkle of this production I mentioned earlier. What could have been a stuffy revival full of large petticoats and tweed morning jackets, became a technicolor masterpiece, in the hands of the very talented costume designers.

In the end, I came away from this show completely in awe of what I saw.  The ability to make a decades-old show feel brand new is truly a feat of talent on the part of the entire production team.   I'm in full agreement with the other critics that if Bette and David aren't awarded the lead actress and actor Tony awards, that the system is rigged.  They blew the roof off the joint, in the truest sense of the words and fully deserve any praise they receive. And maybe if they're awarded those Tony awards, there'll be one left over for best revival for my well-loved Falsettos.  Just a thought...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating My Way Around London

Starstruck

Gavin Creel: A Joy-filled Evening at the Kennedy Center