September in Review


September was a very busy month, full of birthdays, fun outings and lots and lots of writing. Yet, not a lot of theatre, reading, or traveling. It's a conundrum really...

September Reads

Towers Falling by Jewell Parker Rhodes: While I agree that young adults should learn about September 11, I felt that this book told the tale a bit too harshly.

The Land of Forgotten Girls by Erin Entrada Kelly: This was another tough read. I liked it because it promoted the use of imagination and storytelling, but it was a little harsh for middle grades.

Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus by Dusti Bowling: I love, love, love this book! It teaches kids about disability and how people with disabilities are often viewed. It also helps kids to understand Tourettes better. And it's a super fun tale of mystery. It's perfect for all ages!

Campaign Widows by Aimee Agresti: I haven't quite finished it yet, but I am liking it. It's sort of Inside DC Politics + Chick Lit all rolled into one. I'm actually reading it for something fun coming up on Our Community Now. Be on the lookout!



September Travels

September was a fairly low key month in terms of travel. I took only one trip, to the usual place - New York City. Even that trip was not all that exciting - though we did eat some fabulous food. Any day that includes Dim Sum and Ramen, and a trip to the theatre is pretty darn fabulous in my opinion. 

I did do a little traveling within Maryland to Havre de Grace (home to the best candy shop ever - Bomboy's Candy) and Chesapeake City (home of a great hangout right on the water - Chesapeake Inn), but that's about all. Thankfully, the big trip is in October, so yay for that!



September Eats

As I mentioned above, the very best thing I ate this month was an enormous amount of chocolate from Bomboy's Candy in Havre de Grace. Bomboy's is a family run chocolate shop, that hand makes all sorts of deliciousness. My favorites are the marshmallow fluff chocolates and Sea Salt Caramels. I wouldn't recommend going though, unless you want to consume an entire box of chocolates. So darn yummy!


September Shows

September was pretty slow on the show front as well. Many of the local theatres ended their season in the summer, so I had a bit of a theatre break this month. I did manage to see Popcorn Falls in New York. The show was directed by Christian Borle and was fabulous! As much as I loved it, I would have liked to have seen Christian actually in the show though.

For BroadwayWorld, I saw Dancing at Lughnasa. The Irish play at Everyman Theatre was beautiful, and heartbreaking. Again, Everyman knocked it out of the park!



September Moves

As much as I enjoy writing for BroadwayWorld, I wanted to branch out to write about something different than theatre. I came across two sites on Facebook that were looking for writers and decided to apply. As of September 30, I'll be writing for Annapolis.com and Our Community Now. Mostly, for both sites, I'll be covering events happening here in Annapolis, as well as Maryland, DC and Virginia. I can decide on what I want to write about and go for it for the most part. I'm excited to branch out a bit, while still handling theatre reviews and critiques. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating My Way Around London

Gavin Creel: A Joy-filled Evening at the Kennedy Center

Review: 'You are Here: A Come From Away Story'